Saturday, July 14, 2007

The Rewards

This morning I awoke knowing it was going to be a full day. Now, 13 hours later, I think how could I have fit anything more into this day? It was a highlight kind of day. I had told friends of mine from a neighboring village hatt I would pick them up this morning and we would go to the market to buy the things we would need for them to teach me to cook lunch. They would spend the day here and women from NK would come and share some of the day with us.

The shopping experience was a blast. I know now where to buy the best palm oil. I bought cow meat at the open market (2 kilos came complete with some stomach... Yumm?)

We finally started lunch around 1 pm. We worked together... at about 4:30 it was finally ready to eat. It was well worth the wait. Besides talking, we enjoyed listening to some music and watching part of the Jesus film. We had some Attaya (strong tea with sugar) before and after lunch. We also had some warm, sweetened evaporated milk. Which is really tasty. (truely it is) About 7 pm we packed up all the leftovers and I was able to drive my friends back home.

I returned to a semi dirty house. I have swept and mopped the floors. The dishes are awaiting my attention and tomorrow I will have to clean the big cooking pots that are in my backyard. Sorry I forget to get any pictures. My final reward will be a nice cold shower. I will try not to think about a nice warm one.

We did have the pleasure of having a guest from America and we oriented her to Wolof cooking. It is a tough job! Any time you want to experience it... just let me know!

Please pray for rain. As we drove through the bush we passed fields were the tender young peanut crop was beginning to dry up. So far this rainy season, it has rained three times in Ndungu Kebbeh.

Thanks so much!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is great way to keep in touch! Wanted to wish you a Happy Birthday for us all here in Cherry Creek.

Anonymous said...

i was always willing to let you cook here - you needn't of had to go to africa for that....
we miss you lots...
hope your birthday was good. we tried calling a few times - are you out parting on your day.....
love ya
bonnie jean