Saturday, July 21, 2007

A Gambian Birthday

Over the years I have tried to convince people that if you are not in your birth country, you don't have birthdays. No one has bought into this philosophy. Well, I had a birthday yesterday.



Now, the people in The Gambia are just starting to celebrate birthdays. The one having the birthday hosts a party. So, since it was a language day for me... I told my language helper that Friday was my birthday and I would spend the day in her village. She then asked if I was going to bring cake, attaya (national past time beverage), lea (milk that they warm and sweeten) and the music.



Friday morning finally came and I packed up my stuff to head down the road. I came upon on old pa waking along the road, so i asked him where he was headed. He told me he was walking to the village beyond the village I was going. So, I told him I would take him there. It was a nice short drive. When I arrived there I found an old pa who wanted to go to my village, so I said sure, I will take you there. As I passed the village that I study in I thought, they probably think I am not coming. On the way into Kebbeh we drive by a woman walking the road and the man said that she was from his village. So, on my way back by I stopped and picked her up. When I got on the tar road I saw a young woman carrying a baby and an older woman, I asked them where they were going. The younger woman wanted to go to the village just beyond the village I had already been to and was returning to. The older woman wanted to go to the village where I study. So, I had them hop in (I was driving our Toyoto truck, it is a bit high and difficult to get in with a baby on your back). When I dropped the older woman off at Njufen I told the people I saw to tell my teacher I would be back. Then it was off to deliver the other two ladies. Praise the Lord I didn't find anyone else needing a ride to NK. My time as a taxi driver was over... but it was fun. It is always fun to chat with new people.

I finally arrived in Njufen for a day of speaking Wolof and immersing myself in the culture. If you ever want a fun, overwhelming experience, this would be a good time to whip out a camera, (which I did, but I was used to what happened next.) I was mobbed by every kid in the area. Neetal ma! Neetal ma! You had better be quick or every picture you take will have five or more kids sneaking in the background or the foreground. I decided to take a more novel approach and take a individual picture of each child, posed by a post. It was entertaining. Finally, my battery gave out, always a mixed blessing. While seated under the tree with other women and their infants, we drank the tea and milk, conversation flowed. I did bring along a music tape from a workshop in Dakar, Senegal. They enjoyed it. I am going to get some copies made so I can give them as gifts. The young boys were sent of to bathe, it was Friday and 2 PM is the time to go to the Mosque with their fathers, uncles, brothers, etc. At about 2: 20 lunch was served. The men came back from the Mosque and I was invited to sit in a room by myself. I invited others to join me as is the custom. No one did, as is the custom. I actually had two lunches as another friend in that village brought me lunch too.
The lunch served by my language helper’s step daughter in law was called Suupa. It is a sauce made from a tree leaf, with onion, pepper, bouillon, palm oil and fish, served over rice. At first I thought it rather bland, but it was actually very good. The second meal was Yassa. I am not sure all it has in it, but it has mustard, pepper, onion, oil, bouillon and was served with fish again over rice. A visitor to the compound did come in to sit with me. She preferred the second lunch, so waited for me to share that one with her. It all was very tasty.

I had promised to help our clinic driver run an errand around three o’clock. So, shortly after lunch I made my good byes and left. They would have the cake in a few hours, and were looking forward to it.

Arriving back home on time, I looked up our visitor. Teresa had a friend from the states come for two weeks. She was a big help doing odd jobs, a joy to be around and a good source of encouragement for Teresa (me too). I thought she would enjoy going for a ride in the bush. But I found out she had been feeling sick all day. So, I prepared to go with TF. He was going to a village I had never been to before. I went in the house to get some cold water for the trip… and made a discovery… Teresa and Robyn had been busy that morning. They TPd my house! (The gift that keeps giving, as now I have more TP and I was afraid my supply was running low…. How thoughtful of God to provide more in such a exciting fashion.) I had laughed out loud when I made my discovery; TF was waiting outside so I invited him in to see what Teresa had been up to.

I told the guards that I was off to the bush, TF was having a driving test. I enjoy picking on TF. Don’t worry… he teases back. His driving was great, now unfortunately my camera was back home recharging. YOU would not believe the roads. It was fun; there was free standing water in puddles that almost made it into the interior of the truck as we drove through. When we arrived at his destination, we got out and greeted those around us, then went to find his business friend. I followed and was included in some conversation. The man asked his daughter to call his wife and I went with her to the house while the men conducted their business. We had a great talk. TF came in later and told the woman that I could chat with anyone. I was praising God because I forgot to ask TF if this was a Wolof village, since it was I could communicate. I made a new friend. When we left, I was invited to return again (I will wait until after the rains are over and the roads are better.) On the way home God blessed us with sightings that make bush travel fun. We saw monkeys, monkeys with babies and beautiful birds. TF told me to be sure to tell Robyn what she missed.

Friday on our compound has become Pizza night and a movie. It started as one famliy’s usual evening family time, grew to include some of the singles and when they left…. Teresa kept it up to keep in touch with the others on the compound. Who can resist a meal you don’t have to prepare and entertainment. I baked a cake (Jean had left behind a Devil’s food cake mix, so I have a special treat for my birthday.) Robyn was still feeling rough but was able to join in on the activities. All in all my birthday was a great day! Thank you Lord.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!! (belated, of course)...I'm starting to think that in most countries outside of the U.S. that people with the birthday have the party not the other way around like here everyone gives you a card and/or present...are we the backwards one?
Anyways, just a question...why is it a custom that you sit by yourself in a room? Is there a purpose to it? God Bless!!
j from dk,ny

Suellen Black said...

It is like our custom of getting out the best dishes when the company comes. Here everyone eats around the same bowl, so company get the best... their own bowl and a nice place to rest and eat.
Suellen