Tuesday, July 10, 2007

A Different Kind of Day

I awoke this morning not to the sound of my alarm clock. But to the gently sound of wind and water drops on coragate. I was so excited! Rain! I jumped out of bed to close my windows so I could go back to sleep without worry. Unfortunately the rain didn't amount to much. It kind of sprinkled on and off until 9 am. Now, what is interesting is that the people of the Gambia do not go out when it is raining (a general statement). So, your employees may not show up until after the rain stops. I was going to walk to Njufen, but I had to wait for the rain to stop, very culturally appropriate. When Jean brought me the keys to the ambulance. She wasn't going into Banjul after all this morning. I could drive to Njufen.

I arrived and stunned my language helper. I was on time in the rain! I came. She wasn't expecting me to come. So, we had a good morning and I was assisting with the lunch prep when a village elder came to the door. He was shocked to see me at the pounding pot. It was worth it just to see his face. He came to ask a favor of me. A woman had died a fair distance away. Would I consider driving the ambulance full of people to her funeral? Typical American response... I wasn't dressed for a funeral. But the co wife of my language helper loaned me what I needed and we were off. I told them I had to be back to my village by 5pm. (Church is at 5:30 pm) As I was sitting in the house with the women, I was struck by the emptiness of their rout prayers. It was a reaffirming time for me. There is nothing like a Gambian funeral to make you appreciate God's great gift.

I returned to Njufen with more people than I went with. I found lunch was ready and those left behind had already eaten. It was my favorite dish, cew diltiir. Fish with a sauce of pepper, onions, tomatoes, boullion, hot pepper served over rice. YUMM!!

I made it home at 5 pm, grabbed a quick shower and it was off to church. I enjoyed the service. I was more than a bit nervous with leading it in Wolof. But we serve a loving God who is willing to forgive my language blunders. He knows the intents of my heart.

What a great day. 10.5 hours of language time. Tomorrow I will head to the clinic in the morning to do the Bible story presentation and prayer.

Thanks for your prayers!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

things you dont do in the states... drive ambulances to funerals..
do they always have the babies wearing so much jewelery.??

Suellen Black said...

The jewelry you see on the infants consists mainly of charms. These charms are to either ward off evil spirits or to promote health. The pouches contains words from the Koran.