Sunday, July 1, 2007

Babies



The saying that all babies are cute is not something an experienced pediatric nurse would agree to. But all babies do have something about them that pulls at ones' heart strings. When a baby is born here in The Gambia a week passes before the infant is given their name. There is a ceremony and party given in the childs honor. Last Wednesday when I showed up at my tutor's home she told me her child had arrived 6 hours previously. We had a fun week together, not a lot of teaching time with her, but her mom and friend assisted me and we would talk. The day of the naming ceremony was this past Wednesday. I had planned to show up early so I could help. god had other plans. As I was getting dressed (in a nicer outfit than everyday wear) a neighbor gal came to my door to ask me to drive a man that couldn't walk out to the tar road so he could wait for a car to carry him home. I agreed as I was heading out that way in a vehicle anyway. I later discovered that the man lived about 8 miles away and it was the day taxis weren't going his way. So, I decided to drive all the way to his place. They (he and his siser) were very appreciative and I was able to share God's love with them.




Then it was onto the party. I delivered my gifts... cake, tea, milk, sugar, mints (the baby gift was given a few days previously) and greeted the people and the infant.


Our Literacy Department had an End of the School Year Program that morning also. So, I made my excuses stating I would return and I was off to the program. I was in time to hear the village leaders and the village basic school principal give their speaches.


I return to the ngenti at 12pm. Just as they were dishing up breakfast. A peanut and millet dish that resembles oatmeal and is served with sugar and sour milk. It is really very tasty. : )


I spent the day at the ngenti, talking and sharing in the festivities, drove the father to NK to shop for things for their lunch and even helped pick the rice.
I returned home for a shower, nap and change of clothes before returning to the ngenti once more. It was a long, but good day.
I made it home in time to grab another shower before prayer meeting, which was at my house. prayer meeting is a combination business meeting, haven't seen you in a while so lets get caught up and prayer. It lasts several hours, this is a good thing. Prayer, fellowship and encouragement all rolled into one.

1 comment:

cheron said...

Hi, Suellen,
Maybe we will have a meeting in a not so distant future. I plan to go to Ndungu Kebbeh next October with Ron Washer. I am a brasilian dentist and I want to work in the Gambia using a mobile dental treatment unit.
God bless you.
Carlos