Saturday, December 22, 2007

Arrival in Banjul

Tuesday morning we crossed the ferry in record time. There is definately something to be said about traveling in the opposite direction as everyone else. When we arrived in Banjul the mass of people headed to Barra (where we had just come from) was unbelievable. There was people every where. We made it out of Banjul and into the suburbs without incident. At the money changers we were again reminded that Tabaski was around the corner. The place was packed. I am not sure how you knew where you were in line if the last person in the building didn't tell you to follow them. I left Teresa and Joanne (with my check) to do the long wait and I drove a teammate to the mechanics to pick up the ambulance which was in for service. When I returned to the money place... Joanne and Teresa were still in line. I was able to wait in comfort in the car! Smart me.

Yesterday brought some sad news. I heard that one of our clinic employees, who had been out for the last two months on a medical leave, passed away. Today, I headed to Banjul with Teresa and Barney to pick up people from Ndungu Kebbeh and accompany them to the family compound. It was a very sad morning as I listened to people comforting the family by telling them how good IJ was. Yes, she was a good person, very helpful. But she didn't know the Lord as savior. It broke my heart. I am here for that reason, that those I work with and come across in the clinic or life's journey may see the love of Christ in and through me. When I returned to the guest house I spoke with Joanne about the number of deaths we have seen recently. Pray God will continue to give us the strength to serve him here.

The rest of today will be a time for rest and preparing for services tomorrow. I am very excited as we will be able to join the rest of our team in worship at the learning centre. This will be the third week for services to be held in the new location.

I trust you all will have a very Merry Christmas.

No comments: