Saturday, December 15, 2007

Christmas in The Gambia

Today was a busy day. I spent much of it in the kitchen preparing for our Christmas get together.

Now, when I tell you that, I think you picture me working in a typical kitchen and you would be right. Maybe I am baking cookies... no, not today. Today, I was making Chili, hot,spicey chili. I had a friend over and she helped me pick my rice. I cooked up 18 cups of broken rice and made a dutch oven filled to the brim of chili. It was very good, not quite a Steve's chili, but almost. Soxna, my neighbor, worked on the rice for almost two hours. I made the chili and pressure cooked some beans to add to the chili. (Mom, I know a faster way to make that bean soup I like so much.... 20 minutes in a pressure cooker.) I cleaned my stove, washed the dishes and served Soxna cappacino and wacky cake. She had to add sugar to the cappacino. Yuck. They do like their beverages sweet here. By four o'clock the chili was done, the rice was a glob... you try cooking 8 cups of rice in one pan and 10 in amother. And we were waiting for our guests to arrive. They came slowly, first two. We started by sitting around the charcoal and having some strong green tea (not the decaffinated good for you kind, but the strong stuff). As we chatted two more came, and soon we had six guests and the three of us. Many couldn't come because of commitments at home or they were traveling. We had cookies and hot tea and then warm sweet milk. Then Joanne read the Christmas story from Matthew and Luke. After that it was time for Chili and Rice and Spaghetti, and rolls. I am stuffed. I worked off dinner by driving five of the six home. A drive in the bush at night is fun. I missed the Lippy girls. They went with me a few years ago and we made up Christmas songs... "I'm Dreaming of a Brown Christmas, just like the one I never knew" "Seat belt clank,seat belt clank" (Jingle bells) Our Celebration was small but very good. I think it was enjoyed by all who came and all were able to take food home.

On Tuesday I will be heading to the guest house. I have a few days of R&R planned and a lot of supply shopping to do. I may not blog again before Christmas. I will pray you all have a wonderful Christmas and can find a way to share the JOY of this Christmas season and the Joy that the Birth of Jesus brings. Merry Christmas to all!!

No comments: