Saturday, December 8, 2007

Flat Brylee visits The Gambia part 2



Okay, Friday was a fun day. I arrived mid morning on Thrusday, and the earlier post was about my first day. Now it is my second day in The Gambia. It was another busy clinic day for Suellen, I just tagged along and played with the kids that came in. I wasn't too sure about eating Gambian food. I promised my mom and dad I would eat good while I was away. It turns out I didn't have much to worry about. Suellen had a nasty intestinal virus several months back and she is still a little wary of the local food. I did have a bean sandwhich... YUMM. A little on the spicy side, but very tasty. It had lots of beans and onions.




After the clinic closed we went visiting again. This nice grandma is the lady Suellen is named after. Her name is Maam (mom) Soxna (sohna) Drammeh. She is really a nice older woman. I love her smile. She went inside to get all dressed up for her photo. She likes to sit on these logs and watch the neighborhood. She lives in her son's compound with him, his two wives and their children. I counted... 10, and three that live with some one else. There are lots of kids around here.




One of my favorite activites, besides playing soccer, was going for a saret ride. Serin has two cows he hooks up to pull this two wheeled cart. You don't get anywhere fast, but it was a fun way to travel. Maam Soxna told me it wasn't too fun to travel that way when it is really hot and you have a long way to go. I guess she is right.









While I was visiting Maam Soxna, we greeted her in her house. This is her bed. See me! The house is just a one room mud brick building. Out back is the outhouse, except there isn't a house... just a wall and a hole in the ground. I didn't have to use it!
The spots on the wall are where the termites keep trying to destroy her house. yuck!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Suellen-

Thank you for doing my project!!!!I loved the little doll you sent me.Actually I liked all of it!!!!! well I just wanted to thank you so much.Have a great Christmas and New Year!!!! Love, Brylee Jones