Tuesday, December 18, 2007

December Prayer Letter

December 2007

Greetings from Ndungu Kebbeh, The Gambia. It is a quiet, still day. There is no breeze. If you lived in New York, you might think the sky looks like snow is coming. But it is The Gambia and it is at least 85 degrees out. The clouds are just acting as insulation today. Solar power will be low tonight.

The week has been a busy one, just as yours has been in the States. The Clinic closed on Friday so our staff can have off for Tobuski and we will remained closed until after the New Year. I have been busy with staffing issues, inventory, finances and preparing for our Christmas celebration which was last night.

During our Christmas celebration, we were challenged to remember the true meaning of Christmas, the birth of Jesus Christ. Joanne read from Matthew and Luke 2. Buba shared the importance of Christ coming as an infant, and later dying on the cross, shedding his blood. The Islamic Holiday of Tobuski is in just a few days. Our neighbors are all trying to prepare. The harvest was very poor and money is extremely short. Yet, a new outfit or new shoes for each child and your self is a goal for a good Tobuski. A ram will be purchased and slaughtered that day. It is a reenactment of Abraham sacrificing Ishmael. Tobuski and Christmas don’t always fall this close together. This year we do have a wonderful opportunity to share that God sent His son Jesus as an infant, and that Jesus later died on the cross as a perfect atonement for our sins. I have had a few emails about not forgetting the real story of Christmas. We have the opportunity to be a light in this world and proclaim…”For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given…” I have been praying for the outreaches and opportunities that each one of us will have to share the gospel this Christmas. I pray that we will be strong lights in this dark world.

Tomorrow will be a full day. I will start the day in the role of auto mechanic. Pray for me, I can use all the help I can get. We have two vehicles here in Ndungu Kebbeh and neither one would start this evening. I have a few tricks up my sleeves for the one. If it starts then we can jump the other. If the Lord allows at least one vehicle to start, I will be helping Joanne clean up the rental compound the Literacy Centre has used for housing their facilitators during training. I also want to make a few visits before I leave Tuesday for Banjul.

PRAISE:
Return of physical health
Strength each day to do the work that needs to be done that day
The arrival of two medical shipments
Safety
Opportunities to share Christ’s love
The opportunity to go to the guest house for some R&R during the Christmas closure
Prayer supporters and financial supporters; thanks for being a part of my ministry here

PRAYER:
I appreciate your prayers and support of the ministry here in The Gambia. I am looking forward to what God will do in 2008 even as I realize I can’t shut the door on 2007. Friday, at the close of the clinic day, a staff member (who was disciplined earlier in the week) argued with Teresa and me. He is very angry with me and has blamed me for wronging him. On Friday, he vocalized, loudly all his complaints and then made a few verbal statements that I in turn repeated to our mission director. Barney will be going to the lawyer’s office on Monday with the document that Teresa and I wrote up about our meetings with this individual. Pray that God will continue to give me peace and the strength to stand firm in our decisions. The employee has worked for us for many years. It saddens me that this is happening. I trust God to bring it to an end.

We are still looking for a guest house manager for June 2008-January 2009. To learn more about our ministry in The Gambia, go to www.abwe.org and under field… choose The Gambia.

Please pray for our two families and two single women that are on pre-field. Pray God with provide them opportunities to share the ministry he has called them.


Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New year.



Suellen Black
ABWE, The Gambia

No comments: