Saturday, December 8, 2007

Traveling with Flat Brylee



Friday evening we headed out for a drive in the bush. I did NOT get to sit on the dash the whole time. Just for this picture. You have to be careful driving in the bush. Suellen says the deep sand makes you feel like you are driving in snow. She is from near Buffalo, New York, so I guess she knows about snow.

You also have to be aware of children, goats, donkeys, cows, sheep, dogs and monkeys jumping out into the road.





I didn't see anything except for a LOT of pretty birds. I didn't get any picture of them though. I am really happy we didn't find that snake or his relatives. Suellen says they have cobras, vipers and mambas. ugh!









All good trips have to come to an end and I am late for school. Suellen wrote my teacher to tell her I just arrived and she would get me home as soon as possible. I guess she should have written mom and dad too. Sorry about that. I was having too much fun to think about it. Saturday morning we headed into Banjul. I got to ride the ferry! Apparently I rode it on the way to Suellen's, but I was in the envelope.





It is too bad this photo didn't turn out as good as I had hoped. The two big vans just getting on the ferry have a load of sheep on top. They tie them on using a net. Suellen says the sheep are going to market. An Islamic holiday is coming up and every family will sacrifice a sheep that day (if they can afford it).





Suellen let me sit on top of the life boats, just for the picture. She tells me most of The Gambians can't swim. They are really frightened when the crossing is a rough one. We had a great crossing. I got a little sun! No sunburn though.

The capitol city Banjul is in the background.

No comments: