Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Drive by shooting??????

Okay, I have to share with you something that happened a few weeks ago now. I was a bit busy at the time and I would have liked to have included a photo... but that didn't happen.

One of the things I am trying to do while the clinic hours are cut back... is to help out families that should have their child admitted, but the next hospital is 26 kilometers away. It is a bit of a hardship. So, if the child isn't too sick, I have let them go home and I make home visits to give medications and make assesments. I limit my area to just my village or the ones nearby.

The other day Teresa drove me to a village not too far away... maybe 6 kilometers. On the way there I noted a woman waiting at the side of the road for a ride heading in the direction we were coming from. She had a young child with her and was waiting out under the sun. Teresa and I continued on our way and I visited the sick little one, gave him his injections and had a nice chat with his mother. On our return, to Ndungu Kebbeh, I noticed that same woman waiting by the road. I asked Teresa to pull up to them and we could ask her where she was headed. As we stopped another woman also approached us. I asked where we they headed. The whole story came out... the child was sick and they had taken him to the government clinic down the road, (about 12 kilometers from us). She had purchased his medications, which included an injection that morning, which he received at the clinic. It also included a second injection for which they supplied needle, syringe, medication and told her to find someone to give the shot. So, she was waiting on the side of the road to find a ride to my village, to find one of my employees at their home, to inject her son. Then she would wait again to find a car to return her to her village. I felt so bad for this woman. She had been waiting for so long all ready. I checked out the child's chart from the government clinic and decided I needed to show the love of Christ and help her out. So, from the passenger side window, I reached out and gave her child the injection... yup, right there roadside! Teresa was just busting to break out with laughter. Praise God she waited until we were down the road a ways.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Suellen;
You had me going with that heading "Drive by shooting???" I hope you enjoyed your CHRISTmas dinner of chili and rice. We also had ours early as Jeff and the grandchildren had an early CHRISTmas with us. 9 year old Garrett soldered an electronics kit I got him like a pro. I wonder where he got that from???
Hope you enjoyed your R&R.
Love;
Bob & Linda