Thursday, March 20, 2008

Welcoming the newbies

Friday, I went to Banjul to meet Stacie and her family. I had met Stacie a few times at ABWE in Harrisburg. She is a pediatrician in the Lancaster area. The family was eager to come to The Gambia. Usually we like to ease people into life in Ndunug Kebbeh. BUT due to ferry construction, Stacie's family was thrown in feet first. We crossed them as foot passengers. Two of our employees from NK came out to help with the baggage. They had driven a vehicle to Barra. It allowed everyone a ride to NK, except me. I had the joy of a bush taxi. I don't mind the bush taxi. It is usually just a hot experience. Monday, I had a new experience as a fellow passenger got travel sick. Yes, and I was a bit close to her. I chose to get off a mile before my stop. It was a little too nasty in the van.



Tuesday, I deserted our visitors and headed to literacy to do some work on their electrical problem. Praise God changing the inverter worked! I had some interesting interruptions... two trips to Barra and a termite mess to deal with. Joanne's employees actually cleaned up the termite stuff for me. But I still had to stick my hand into the cabinet, it was a bit gross.

I have a friend I can email for suggestions on electrical problems, a provision from God. Pray for our prefielders.... we have a family on prefield (Van Horns) and Chris is more than capable to do this kind of work. We also have a family, the Byrums, on prefield, when they arrive in The Gambia, Dan will be our hospital administrator. He can do lots of the stuff I am doing now. : )
Amanda is raising support and will be working in the area of community development.
Sarah is raising her support and will join me in the clinic. She is a RN in Michigan.

1 comment:

darlene said...

I am glad God is growing your team. How long will the doc be there? Have a Great Easter!!! love ya