Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Attending a Medical Seminar in The Gambia

As Medical Director for the Ndungu Kebbeh Health Centre, I work with the Department of Health in The Gambia. This past weekend my division held a training seminar on Intermittent Preventive Therapy (Malaria Prophylaxis in Pregnancy). I decided I should attend and learn about the new medication The Gambia will be using to combat Malaria. The seminar was scheduled for Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I was not thrilled about going on Sunday.

I discussed this with my fellow missionaries and then advised my Gambian staff that I would be going to the meeting along with one of them. I told Alhajie I would pick him up on the way. The course was to start at 9 am. I have been in the country long enough to know that wouldn't happen. I left here just after 9. The meeting was a half hour away. We were one of the first to arrive. I think that it started a bit after 10 am with opening remarks and an overview. One of the best opening remarks... we would be paid for attending the workshop (D300 a day = $15). At almost 11 am, we broke for breakfast. We were served a sandwich similar to tuna fish. Fish, mayonnaise, onions, and boiled potatoes. It was very good. they served warm, sweetened milk tea. I could have done without the tea, but everyone wanted to make sure the tubaab (white person) didn't go without. Class was called back together a little after 12 (yes, notice it was along breakfast break). We had an interesting lecture on the reasons for focused care. At 1:40 pm we broke for prayer and lunch. I wanted to get a picture of the prayer time at the mosque but I didn't. When lunch was ready I was called into the office lounge to join the program planners in sharing their meal bowl. It was my favorite Gambian dish. Rice, with a sauce made with palm oil, white fish, sweet potato, cabbage, bitter tomato, eggplant, hot pepper. It was a bit intimidating to eat with the planners but again great care was taken to make sure the tubaab was treated well. After lunch we were given a soda. The meetings started back up around three fifteen. An hour later, the effects of lunch kicked in and our presenter instructed us to stand. He then told us we had to repeat what he did and said. He broke into a song chant with motions. It was funny to watch us all (I didn't know the words but tried to be a part of the group) follow his leading. Another Kodak moment missed. It was his way of getting us to stretch. he then went on to say if we didn't want to come Sunday... some people actually voiced their objection to the plan, which was why he had this statement prepared.... we would have to come early the next morning... 8 am. I groaned. Mornings and I don't mix. At 5 pm, he finished for the day. I had a few patients to look in on and then a bit of shopping to do in the nearby town. I made it home by 6:30 pm to find a patient of mine had returned from the hospital in Banjul. I made a house visit to see his medications and make plans for him to see me Monday.
By Friday evening I was ready for bed!

I had asked my employee what time he wanted me to meet him in the morning. I figured he would know better what the guy meant when he said be there at 8. I was shocked that Alhajie wanted to be there at 8. So, I made plans to meet him on the way. Saturday was to be the monthly Clean Up The Gambia day. You can't drive any where from 9 am - 1 pm. So, it was probably good we went early. I later found out they cancelled it.

I am sure you will be shocked to hear that Alhajie and I were the only ones there at 8 am. I went in and visited with out patients and greeted all the other patients. They enjoyed talking to a tubaab that spoke Wolof. Many people are shocked when you start speaking to them in Wolof. It cracks me up.

Alhagie and I were kicked out of the ward, by housekeeping. We went and sat outside. We had a great discussion on Islam, Christianity and our view of God. Later Alhajie brought up American politics. He told me he liked conservative views, agreed with the war, but would vote for Hillary. I stopped that conversation. UGH, good thing he can't vote! At 9:15 am the speaker arrived and class began. It was much different than the day before. Breaks were shorter and the lecture time more intense (so to speak). Breakfast was a red meat and fish sandwich (I think it was cow, but could have been goat). Again we broke for prayers and lunch at 1:45 pm. Lunch was Benecin and I sat at a bowl with the guys I was talking to at the time. I ate Gambian style, with my right hand. The food is really best that way. Again we were treated with a Coke/Fanta/Sprite. Class went until 5 pm. We took a post test and then we were instructed to go to the office for our Vitamin M. (money... the guy had a sense of humor) We were paid for three days as we covered all the material. The registration process was a joke, but that is the American in me.

All in all, I did pick up some new information. I networked on the availability of the new drug, i.e. Could I obtain stock from them (it is more money than my yearly medication budget). I learned what documentation we should be doing. I will make sure it gets done. So, it was helpful that I went.

That doesn't mean I am actually looking forward to the next one I have to go to.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YES, SUELLEN YOUR MOM & DAD YOUR BLOGS RELIVING SOME OF YOUR DAILY CHORES AND MANEUVERS - TO LET US KNOW YOU STILL NEED GOD AND STILL HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR. WE ALSO LOVE TO SEE THE PICTURES THTA GO ALONG WITH YOUR STORIES.