Thursday, March 20, 2008

Mass of Humanity

Friday was one of those days. I know you have had them too. This is what it looked like here.


I awoke to a casual Friday at the clinic. The only rush was that Teresa and I wanted to travel to Barra with the ambulance. We were headed to Banjul to meet our guests. A doctor and her family had arrived the night before and I was headed over to help them get supplies for a month and to travel back with them on Monday. All month we have heard that the ferry terminal was going to have some work done on the ramps. We wouldn't be able to use a vehicle. So we hitched a ride in our ambulance. We had a full vehicle, two patients, their mommies, one daddy and five staff, the driver, Teresa and I. No, we don't own a bus of an ambulance, it just felt like it.


I have crossed on the ferry by foot several times. You get packed into a waiting area, tuck your arms in and when the door opens, just move your feet. The mass of humanity will guide your steps. I made it safely onto the ferry and managed to find a seat. The man next to me wanted to talk. He complimented my Gambian dress, asked where I was from, how long I had been here, where was my husband, etc. All typical questions. When I replied I had no husband, he did what most do... he offered himself. I refused, nicely. He told me I wasn't getting a true Gambian experience nor did I know anything about Gambian culture because I did not have a Gambian husband. I gave my typical response (after five years I have gotten pretty good at this), I told him I was waiting on God. we debated that he was God's choice for me. I was confident he wasn't. After several other borderline rude comments, I told him I wasn't talking to him any more. It didn't phase him, so I left. Just an average day.


They were working on the ferry ramp in Banjul. When we were ready to dock, I noticed that we had passed the ferry dock and were docking at the Navy Pier (not as nice as Chicago's, just a cement jetty). We had to climb up a narrow stairway, to the top of the ferry's engine house, and then down a very narrow gang plank to the pier. Now, close your eyes and picture hundreds of people trying to do this at the same time. Survival guide, tuck your elbows, move your feet, push toward the gang plank so YOU don't end up having to jump three feet down onto the pier in a wrap around long skirt. Praise God, Teresa and I both made it. I feel like I should have a free T-Shirt. "I survived exiting the ferry in Banjul while the dock was under repairs!"

Picture me as one of the mass ahead of this vehicle, which was the one plus, we didn't have to compete with a vehicle for a place to walk. I had my camera with me, but decided it wasn't safe to get it out.

Teresa and I walked up to a Lebanese eating establishment and ordered lunch as we waited for Max, our team mate on the south bank, to pick us up in our van. He then took us to the "money changer" where we discovered once again the dollar value had dropped. OUCH! From there we went to the travel agent for airline tickets. Praise God we were able to get an NGO discount (we don't have to pay tax, a savings of $240) and cheaper seats for booking early. Why am I booking an airline ticket... well, I have been asked by our field to represent The Gambia at Medical Missions Interface at ABWE this summer (recruiting for .. a doctor, or at least some short term help) and my niece is getting married! So, I thought I would take my vacation to attend her wedding. May be I will see YOU this summer.