Thursday, February 21, 2008

The Sisterhood and Field Council....

A few weeks ago, I shared about the Sisterhood of Perpetual Togetherness. SPT for short. Which I confess I muck up and say STP and my sisters are quick to remind me we are NOT motor oil. I thought I would share the events of our weekend.

Every three months we gather together as a team for prayer and planning, reviewing goals and establishing new ones. Since our team is now a lot smaller than in the past and since there are four adults in Banjul and three adults in NK. AND since Banjul has air conditioning, hot running water and we can do our supply shopping, Field Council has been held in Banjul 3 out of the last four times. This weekend was one such weekend.

We loaded the car the night before and by 6 AM we were in the car and headed out. The first ferry leaves Barra at 7 am and it is a 30 minute drive. We do a LOT of hurry up and get there to wait. It wasn't too bad. I was able to run in and purchase our ticket at the weigh station. This is the job of the back seat passenger and earned me the job title... Road Trip Attendant, I also pass supplies up front, water bottles, crochet... if I can reach it you can have it.


I had plenty of room to stretch out a bit, which is great since I don't like getting up at 5 am... or any where near that time of day. So, Teresa drives, Joanne navigates, and I take a nap, act as attendant and as I discovered this weekend, entertain... they keep me along for the entertainment, hmm. A variety of roles! My cousin asked for pictures of feet. Blame this one on her, but they are fairly clean! We arrived in Barra at the terminal before 7 am, but there was a good line already. It was after seven before we were allowed inside the gate. But we were the second car on the second ferry, an hour later! Praise God.







Here are a few scenes from the ferry during our early morning loading.























Since we were the second auto on the ferry, we had the first place to the left. This was Teresa's view from the driver's seat.








We actually made good time as the money exchange place doesn't open until 9 am. We were able to cross, make a stop at get this a car dealer to buy ink for a Rizeograph. (a fancy machine for literature production)







Then it was on to breakfast, a crossant and some juice. It was fun to try and get a snapshot of all three of us... it did make us laugh... could have been from getting up so early. Hmm






After breakfast the fun began. We were off to cash in some dollars for dalasi and then... shop until you drop. Well, Joanne almost did, drop that is... but we promised her lunch at our favorite place, THE BUTCHER SHOP. It is so good!

Adris, the owner, stopped by to welcome us. He gave us a nice treat, a piece of chocolate cake to share. It was very good! One of the waiters watched me try to get us all in one snapshot and asked if he could take our picture. Nice staff.
We found some interesting things at a place we call The American Store. They have a nice deal on cereal. I know you are curious as to what is a good deal. $15 for a double bag of Cherrios. $14.50 for a double bag of bunches of Oats. cereal isn't cheap anywhere.

But we did find a STP product and since I am constantly messing up the letters... we had to have photos.

Did I mention we shop until we drop and our mornign starts around shortly after five? Remember earlier in this dialogue I told you I had lots of room to stretch out. Well, after three of us shopped for supplies and we picked up a few things for literacy, I had objects falling on me. We loaded the car pretty good.
I hope you enjoyed our trek into town... we arrived at the guest house and collapsed. Naps all around! More later. Oh yeah... I think it was around four when we finally arrived.

3 comments:

darlene said...

I loved it... Sounds like fun. One day I would like to go. I am glad God has given you great friends and a sisterhood. keep on with the stories they are great... by the way I loved the feet picture.

darlene said...

ps I haved forgotten about being tagged... soon I will publish my tagged story..

Anonymous said...

Hey, Suellen! God bless you! We are praying for you. Tomorrow (March 2) I will preach on "this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached to ALL NATIONS." Keep it up!

Dan Jones
Conklingville