Sunday, February 3, 2008

The Cat



I am sure you have heard about the cat. Our compound which now is inhabited by three single gals, had a few animals left behind. I was the care giver for the most senior cat... whiskers. She died several months ago. Now her rival cat is enjoying free reign on the compound. We do see stray cats often, but when we are in residence, the stray cats don't get feed.

Whiskers and Precious did not get along. It was a common thing to hear one cat chasing the other up a tree or across the roof. (I have an aluminum roof and hear many things running across it.) They were a bit possesive of their territory, including which house they thought the other could enter.

With Whiskers gone, it is a bit lonely. The other day I returned from taking a patient home to find Precious chasing me down and beating me to my front door. Obviously, he didn't get into Joanne's (her care provider) home before Joanne closed up for a nap. (Which is rather unusal as Precious is Joanne's napping partner.) She raced me and waited at my door, watching me... as if to say... "Hurry up, I am waiting!"




I let Precious into the house, but I still had a patient to see at the clinic. Later I brought the young woman and her child home with me. I asked if she was afraid of cats. (Gambians do not like cats.) She was, so I warned her one was in the house, but most likely in my bedroom. Sure enough, I couldn't find the cat.


I went into my room and this is what I found. I had to get a shot pretty much straight on or you would not have seen what I found. A closer inspection found Precious "snug as a bug" in my pillows. She just made herself a little cave.
Now isn't she just.... PRECIOUS!

No comments: