Saturday, February 9, 2008

The Things We Do for Fun

I know you find it hard to believe that I would be involved in doing something "just for the fun of it". Yeah, right!

In 2002, shortly after arriving in Ndungu Kebbeh, our compund emptied out for a few weeks. Every except Joanne and myself, went some where. I was just starting to learn the language and making that big adjustment to life on the "white people's" compund. I hung out with Joanne a lot! One evening prior to the return of a family... we decided to rename our compund and take pictures to show the family what changes we made to the place while everyone was gone. Our new name.... Ndungu Kebbeh Abbey, home of the Sisters of Perpetual Togetherness. They all liked our new name, but decided we needed to revert back to ABWE Mission, home to Ndungu Kebbeh Health Centre.

Well, as many of you know, since May of last year, the compound has again been the home to just a few single ladies. We each share the responsibilites of maintaining the property God has provided and the men on the south bank (Banjul area) help us out a great deal. A few weeks ago our Regional Administrator was due out for a visit. In the process of cleaning up for his visit. We decided a new sign was in order. Our supplies were limited, but we wanted to be able to reflect the true spirit of our compound. So we gathered in Joanne's home and worked "together" to come up with a new sign.

Years ago I gave Joanne the title Mother Superior of our little Abbey. She knew the language and understood the culture so well. I was just starting out. Over the years God has blessed me with the ability to understand and speak Wolof (not great, but I can get my point across). Joanne continues to be a great source to turn to for help in any situation. She is even smart enough to take incriminating pictures... and leave herself out of the event. I must learn this skill.

Joanne has been my "go to" person for help with language, sticky situations, advice... (we even think she has a hidden, well not so hidden... everyone comes to her, talent for counseling.) I some how... for I really don't remember how I volunteered to do it... had the responsibility of posting the new sign. I had all kinds of advice and help. One of my other jobs is that of Supervisor for the compound workers. Here my three compound workers and the day watchman are all trying to figure out what I am doing and how they can best help me. It was a challenge to try to explain what I was doing. How would you tell your employees "I am playing a joke on the boss". They really don't need any ideas. I than had to explain what the sign said. The men represented here don't read English, but a few are trying to teach themselves to speak it. I completed the task and made my explanations. The guys returned to work. As I headed home one of the yard crew proudly showed me his writing in the sand. He had made a huge STP, right in the main path for entry into the compound. STP stands for Sisters of Perpetual togetherness.

When I returned in May, I started hearing a saying from my coleagues. "You can't afford to alienate one of your colaborers. When you only have two friends, you can't afford to lose one."
It keeps us on an even keel. We watch out for each other in many ways. We share a lot, but have made some bold statements about what we are NOT willing to share. (you will have to ask.) We rejoice in God's provisions, pray for his leading and encourage each other in our walk with God. We have been known to vacation together, play together and every Friday night is... Pizza and a Movie. We have cried together, laughed together, prayed together, shared frustrations, hopes, goals.

We had a great, however short, visit with our administrator and his wife. They were very encouraging. I know that they enjoyed their time at STP. Ann would have stayed for a bit longer, but... it was not to be. Thanks for reading on about the STP. Ask about us any time. We love to share about life in Ndungu Kebbeh.




The SISTERS and Ron and Ann Washer (Regional Administrator, Africa, ABWE)






yes, I do have hair... it is in a ponytail.

The actual sign......

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HI SUELLEN:

WELL, I CAN'T IMAGAINE OUR DAUGHTER DOING ANYTHING FOR FUN, CAN YOU? WE KNOW SHE IS JUST A "CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK" AT LEAST MOM ISN'T THERE TO BE EMBARRASSED. SO WHAT'S THE REST OF THE STORY YOU HAVE TO SHARE? I DO LIKE YOUR SO-CALLED TITLE.
LOVE, MOM & DAD