Wednesday, January 23, 2008

See One, Do One, Teach One.....

It is a saying I have heard often since my arrival in The Gambia in 2002. I heard it first in reguards to stitching up a wound. Except in my case it was see as you do. Then I heard it with draining an abcess, tapping a knee, etc. I learned all kinds of things. I even heard it out side of the clinic setting; fixing a faucet, fixing the truck, looking into solar problems. I have learned many very helpful skills since my arrival.

Today, as I was getting up and preparing to go to work, the guard came to my door. There is a pregnant woman, in labor waiting for you. Now, you need to know, I saw a delivery years ago, but the Gambian Nurses do the deliveries here and I am very thankful for that. I like the newborn baby, but the birthing process, all though it is amazing, God has a wonderful plan. I think it is a bit more than gross. I got dressed quickly and ran down to the clinic, knowing Teresa was there by herself. The sun doesn't come up as early these days and our staff doesn't arrive until well after sun up. I found the woman and led her into the labor room, praying for time for a staff member to arrive. God answered my prayer in a different way. Before any other staff member arrived, a bouncing baby boy was making his appearance. Praise God there were no complications. I am sure the mother doesn't know this was the first baby I helped deliver (she had the hardest work). He is definitely a cutie with a good set of lungs. Mom and baby headed home about two hours later.

So if you hear.... see one, do one, teach one.... watch out. You never know what might be asked of you!

2 comments:

Aji said...

You've been tagged. I warned you this was coming. Go to my blog to see the rules.

darlene said...

hola,
hey thanks for the reminder on my blog that there are stars... That is one of the disadvantages of living in city life.. stars. what are stars?