Sunday, January 13, 2008

more computer woes

I am looking forward to the challenges that a new year will/may bring. As january gets off to a good start I think about the reports that ABWE asks us to fill out each year. Reviewing your goals and your accomplishments each year. As well as looking at what may have been a stumbling block. For me that last one is easy. Health! Or the lack of it, and Computer Woes.

2007 ended on a sad note. While I was in Banjul over the Tobaski/Christmas week, two of our employees died. I was able to go to the compound of the family of the clinic emplyee who died. She had been sick well over a year and had been out on leave for two months prior to her death. Then a few days after Christmas we learned that on of our station workers, who had been sick for a couple of weeks, died. The three of us visited with the family when we returned to Nk. Our work in The Gambia is not done, God has opened the doors and we have had many opportunities to share Christ. Continue to pray for open doors.

In the last 36 hours, I have faced the maintenance challenges of West Africa. Thursday night Joanne came to the door to tell me our water supply might be short in the morning. A water faucet was on and she and the night guard couldn't get it to turn off. They tried the shut off valve on the main line to the faucet and that was also stuck. So, I grabed a few tools and headed out the door. Long story short... I broke the stem off the shut off valve and the faucet will not turn off! You didn't know I had such power! Well, we thought we had slowed the flow a bit. Friday morning I would either... replace the faucet if we had one or... plug the line. : )

Friday morning came and we had plenty of water. I left the clinic at about 11am to work on the plumbing. I had to turn off the water to that side of the compound. PROBLEM! I couldn't get the valve to close the line. I called the one yard worker I had working that day and had him try. It wouldn't budge. So, I got in the truck... PROBLEM, it wouldn't start. The clinic driver came over and we pumped the fuel filter/pump... still no start. Then I took the line off the filter that goes into the engine and we pumped the pump until fuel flowed freely. Put the line back on and ... it started! I was off to ask for some help in the braun department. One of my yard workers was in Banjul, another was sick, so I turned to Tijan...PROBLEM, He was on a trip! I had a nice visit with his wives. Returning to the compound, I didn't get any plumbing work done so returned to the clinic.

We are very thankful that the water supply has been great and the sun has been enough to have the pumps keep the tanks full. Plumbing will happen... tomorrow... maybe!

Opps, I forgot to mention the computer woes.....
After my unsuccessful attempt at plumbing I came home and went to get on line. PROBLEM: My laptop wouldn't start. I tried a few different times on Friday and Saturday. We do have a man we know who repairs computers... he lives in the Banjul area. So, I planned to call him on Monday. Today as I was packing the machine away, I tried again. It wouldn't start. I thought about taking the battery out, and did. The compartment was a little dusty, I cleaned it, put the battery back in and tried to start it once more. I was shocked. It started. Praise God! Pray with me that it will continue to work.

2 comments:

darlene said...

Hey

I hear your pain.. Problem... I understand. I have had my car in the shop for over three weeks now and they keep telling me manaƱa. Glad to see you can keep your head up in difficult times. I also love, let me say that again LOVE the photos of your house and your Christmas decorations.

Steve Blount said...

Ahhh...when all else fails...yank the battery. Now you know my secret to fixing computers. :^)