Sunday, October 21, 2007

Nurse... Plumber... yep benna la!

Now, I know you all know of me as a nurse. But did you think of me as a plumber? Yup, my toilet broke this week. I had to turn the water off to the house. (our toilets don't have a shut off valve in the line leading to the tank.) After two days of bucket showers and bucket flushes, I think you get the picture... it was getting old. SO, I went on a scavenger hunt to find toilet parts. Of course we didn't have what I needed and there is NO near by Wal-Mart or Tru Value. I did have some Duck tape and PVC cement. So I tried a repair on the broken piece. I am sorry Mac Gyver, Duck tape doesn't work on everything. Joanne was present when I gave the test trial. Praise God or the flood in the bathroom could have been really bad. I was out of luck and the problem was getting worse. I then looked at every toilet on our compound (we have a lot of empty houses right now). I found only one that had the water intake on the bottom of the tank like mine. SO, I capped the water line and took out the pieces I would need. However, yes there is ALWAYS a however in Africa, the tanks were two different sizes and my tank was a mini tank. The borrowed part wouldn't fit in. I then returned the part and capped my water line. I at least have running water in the house again.

I called our teammates in Banjul and told them what I needed. There is no Wal-Mart or Service Center there either, which means.... it is very hard, almost impossible to find replacement parts. So, a new toilet was ordered. Now I am back to bucket flushing and Barney is coming out on Tuesday to put in the new toilet. I don't really want to attempt it as there is a willing some one to do it. Praise God. A true blessing if I have ever seen one!

Have a great week and face each new challenge as a gift from God to become more like him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well written article.