Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Another Exciting Day!

Okay, I have to let you all in on a few of the recent happenings.

I haven't had a working phone line in months. It has decreased my time on line as I have to go to another house to access the Internet. I can get access, I just don't do it every day now. Yesterday I was in my house talking with Teresa and a Gambian woman. I heard a motorcycle come on the compound as it circled our property the driver was tooting the horn. It was a bit annoying in the house. our watchman came to my door to tell me that the men on the cycle were from the telephone company. When they arrived at my home I told them if my phone was fixed that day I would be so happy, I would dance. (Now, don't panic, this is a culturally appropriate comment to make.) They laughed (I am sure they thought, yeah, you are a tubaab, you can't dance.) and looked at my phone jack. Then they went to check out the line. About 30 minutes later, I heard the cycle start up and they were gone. I went to ask the guard what they said, as my phone was still not working. He told me they told him they were going to the market. I guess the market was a long way away; they never came back. MORAL of the STORY: Don't say you will dance! The phone will be fixed, in God's timing.

Now, I told you about my plumbing problem... well, Barney came to set a new toilet today. Ha-ha He did try, but the toilet bowl was the wrong size for the whole I have. By the time we figured that out for sure and certain, he had cut a piece of PVC that went around the out flow of the old toilet. So there was no way to replace the old toilet. I told him I was grateful I was better. A month ago my intestinal problems would of made a week with out a toilet in the house a severe discomfort. So, let this be a warning to you all... if you see me running to an empty house, watch out. I am either trying to use the phone or the little girls room!

Life is never dull in Ndungu Kebbeh.

Oh, I lent Joanne my camera because her termites were back in force at the literacy center. I am glad I wasn't there this time, but i can't wait to see the pics. Maybe I will share them with you.

You can check her blog out at gambiathoughts.blogspot.com

No comments: