Monday, June 4, 2007

I am settled! I have unpacked the last box, bag, suitcase, etc. I thought I would let you get a glimpse of my new floor. It is so beautiful. A big thank you to TED, and the guys. I do love it. Especially now that I can see it.

I am having a bit of trouble with my electricity and my computer still likes to crash when it likes. So this will be short today.

I had a great day on Saturday. I went to the Luuma, market, in town. I had a good time greeting everyone and catching up on events in the village. People were so glad to see me back but not thrilled to hear that I am going to take a few (13) weeks to work on refreshing and improving my Wolof. Please continue to pray for the clinic ministry and it's testimony to the villages it serves.

After the Luuma, I took 13 kids to the shore. I had to turn about 8 away. I can't watch that many. It was an experience. The kids (2-19 in age) had a great time in the van, calling out to those they knew along the way. It is a 15 mile drive that takes about 25 minutes. But when I arrived at the shore I was approached by a soldier. He questioned me on what was I doing there and hadn't I heard that he was there. That people were there now. It was a wierd conversation and looking back on it last night, I came to this conclusion. In January, the military took over a landmark fort left by the Portuegese in the 1400s. They are now using it as a barracks and my favorite shore spot is too close to the fort. I may need to find a new place.

The ride home was full of teasing. I was pulled over at a check point simply because the immigration officer was from our village and he wanted to tease the gals. I then picked up some passengers headed to our village and became a local taxi. I had 20 people and all manner of baggage (no animals though). I even made stops on the way. At my first stop I not only dropped off a passenger, I picked one up. It was a little snug but such fun. The best thing... no tire blow outs! Praise the Lord.

Have a great one, more later.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow i love the floor
caleb says hi
if you just wanted tile thought gary would of tiled the weight room on your half for you... hehe... Love ya
and if the soldjer is cute i would keep that swimming spot..
miss you
see ya in 4 years....
hugs
Bonnie jean

Anonymous said...

GEE, DON'T GET ARRESTED IN A FOREIGN COUNTRY THAT COULD BE AN EMBARRASSMENT TO YOUR MOM.
THE TILE FLOOR LOOKS GREAT BUT WE GAVE YOU CARPETING HERE AND A POOL WIHT PRIVACY, NO MEN.
WE LOVE YOU LOTS AND MISS YOU
DAD MISSES HIS MEALS TOO.
TRUST YOU WILL HAVE A GREAT TIME WITH YOUR LANGUAGE REFRESHER COURSE.

Anonymous said...

Its funny that I was just talking about men. Fathers day is coming up and I needed to make some cards. Good looking floor. Nice clean house too. Who is your cleaning lady. I could use her. My floor doesn't shine like that.
Love ya, Aunt Betty