Sunday, May 27, 2007

I trust that you are having a wonderful Sunday.

It has been a quiet weekend for me. I am trying to get my things all settled. I have found that in the middle of the day, 2-5 pm, I am not worth much. This is the hottest time of day. I was watching the thermometer in my house today. It topped off at about 92 degrees and 43% humidity. That just means it feels like 93 degrees today. There is no breeze, occassionally a hot gust of wind comes from the northeast (the desert). At around 5 pm the winds change and a cooler breeze comes from the ocean. It will drop to the mid 80s. Yes, you can tell the difference and you appreciate it.

I went to church. It was just the four of us missionary gals. The Gambian that comes to church has been on a trip for two months. His wife is getting a little worried as she has no way to pay the rent and no food. Our service was in English. We sang a few of our favorite hymns, accapella of course. The gals have been watching a series put out by Focus On The Family. Walk Where Jesus Walked. Today's lesson was about the passion of Elijah in living his life for Christ. Last week, while in Banjul the message was on the God's attribute: Unchangeable. There sure have been a lot of changes here in the 12 months I was gone. It is reassuring to know that God doesn't and won't change.

After church, I had the pleasure (?) of changing the gas bottle on my stove. I had a new one put on just 11 days ago. Usually the stove bottle lasts for 5-6 weeks. So, I had to do some investigating and try a new regulator, but that didn't fit the bottle. So I refitted the old regulator with the new ones' seals. The stove is up and running and there is no scent of Butane, but I haven't noticed a smell all week.

I made French Toast casserole yesterday. I left some local bread out over night... it was almost impossible to cut it into usable size pieces for the casserole. I cooked it today, after I got the butane situated. Then since I haven't made any Maple Flavored syrup. (lots of sugar and a little bit of flavoring... not that good stuff you all can get). I diced up some Mangos and made a sauce. It was very tasty.

I will have a busy week as my house helper, Jogab, went on a trip. I will get to do all the fun stuff (sweep, mop, put the kitchen to order and laundry), okay I am praying I find someone willing to do my laundry. Jogab will be back next week. I hope to be done settling in by then.

My language skills are improving. I will be going to a near by village every day to refresh and improve my Wolof. Pray for Teresa as she will be alone in the clinic until I finish the refresher (13 weeks).

Have a great week. Thanks for your prayers...
Maybe the next posting will have a photo or two.... I have to find my camera. : )

3 comments:

Eyes of the World said...

Keep up the Good Work . . .

Anonymous said...

we are happy to get some dAY-TO-DAY NEWS FROM YOU.

KEEP YOUR EYES FOCUSED ON HIM AND WHAT HE CAN HELP YOU DO THRU HIS STRENGTH. WE LOVE YYOU AND MISS YOU.
MOM DAD

carolb said...

Hi, Suellen,
Great to read your blog and know you have returned safely and are getting settled.
I hope you find your camera soon and we can see your house and Ted's (and others') handiwork.
Love,
carolb