Thursday, May 3, 2007

Computer Challenges 2 Surgeries Family & Friends

25,000 Miles Representing The Gambia


Wow furlough has been something! I am sure many of you have been wondering where have I been? It has been some month. I left Florida in March and returned the last week of April. I traveled north (Georgia, Alabama, South Carolina, North Carolina, New York, Pennsylvania, and Virginia). I was able to catch up with a lot of friends and make new ones. One of the highlights of this trip was meeting the children of friends. I had such a good time getting to know these kids. It was funny to see their faces when I told them, “see you when you are, wait… how old did you say you are? See you when you are (four-five years older).” Their jaws dropped and their eyes popped out! That was going to be a long time.
While traveling, I picked up a nasty case of Bronchitis. I have been on medications of one form or another since the 9th of April. A long time I know; I have been sick since the 19th of March. My dear mother has a saying, I can’t return to The Gambia until I am better. I, however, have ticket in hand! (And I am feeling much better.)
I did have the opportunity to share about The Gambia with several perspective missionaries. I was also able to present at many churches and see many of the individuals that support my ministry in The Gambia.
The words above represent much of my furlough and how generous God has been to me. I praise Him for a computer (whether it works perfectly or not) as I can communicate with you all. My surgeries went well and I have noticed much improvement in each hand. My neck hasn’t bothered me (if I keep my driving hours down…less than 12 hours behind the wheel.) I will take back my cervical therapy gear as a preventative.
This furlough I had the joy of celebrating the 50th wedding anniversary of my parents. My brother and his family, sister and her family and I hosted a party for my parents in New York State. All of their children and grandchildren were present. It was great to see so many friends and relations, many of whom I haven’t seen since childhood.
I mentioned that God had provided a car for me for furlough. My brother and sister assisted me in obtaining it. I have driven more than 25,000 miles and I praise God for the safety He has given me. I am looking forward to no more snowstorms. I drove through three; I was definitely the co-pilot those days.
I have obtained my ticket to return to The Gambia and my visa. I wasn’t able to send an email out at that time, I would like to thank those of you who knew and were praying. All the paper work came through with out any problems. My biggest concern was my ticket. The Gambia has a rule that Americans need to have round trip tickets; this is because America has a similar rule for Gambians. I didn’t want to purchase a round trip ticket that I knew I wouldn’t be able to use. God paved the way for me to be able to get the visa and a letter, and cell phone number to make a round trip ticket unnecessary. That is a phone number I am holding on to!
I am looking forward to my return. I have to pack up my belongings. I think I have most of what I want to take with me set aside. The actual packing is a bit more challenging as airlines have changed the weight allowance. I am already planning on taking an extra bag. My mother walks by my room and tells me, it will never make it into three bags. Pray, I am not sure what will fit. I still need to add clothes. PTL I wear mostly Gambian clothing.

Thank you for your prayers and your encouragement and financial support. I really would not be able to do this without each of you. I am excited to go back and I am looking forward to what God has in store for me in the months a head. I heard from Ndungu Kebbeh the other day and I know that many of my friends and staff are counting the days until I return. I heard that my fellow missionaries are waiting for my return too.

My return to The Gambia and the trouble with my computer this furlough has me thinking on how I can keep the ministry before you. I will continue to write my prayer letters and send email updates. I have also been learning how to Blog. For those of you with a computer, you will be able to check out my blog site any time for updates on life in The Gambia. Simply type in suelleninthegambia.blogspot.com note there is no www. I cheated and used a template, I can’t erase the subscribe line, but it isn’t mine.


Praise:
God’s goodness and mercy
Opportunites to share about the Wolof people and the work God has given me among them
Obtained Visa and airline Ticket
Safety on the road


Prayer Requests:
Packing up and saying see ya later (pray for my parents, it is difficult to see your child leave for four years)
I fly out of Tampa on May 11th at 1:30 pm and arrive in The Gambia 24 hours later.


Your Partner in The Gambia,

Suellen Black
ABWE
Ephesians 6:19-20

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Suellen,
Thank you for your letter, which I enjoyed.
Have a safe trip back to The Gambia. I know you will have a WARM welcome there!
Love,
Carolb

DSB said...

Look out for the computer techies... Amazing what you learn so far away. It was nice to see you - ever so briefly - on your trip to stateside! Have a safe return.

Love ya!

David, Laurie, Emily, and Abigail