Monday, June 11, 2007

The Rains are Coming!

Yea, the rains are coming. Why is it that I know they are on their way? Well, in The Gambia we only see rain June- October. It rains very little in June, a little more in July. There is a pretty good rainfall in August, decreasing into September and then comes October when it is hot, humid and we pray for rain to bring relief, but it doesn’t usually come.
I was doing my devotions today and I was reading about how nature gives Glory to God. I was asked to think about my favorite thing in nature that gives glory to God or reveals His power. I immediately thought of the Flame Tree. I don’t know its scientific name. But it is a tree that has a fern type leaf. After months of no rain or water, just before the rains come, beautiful bright red flowers spring forth. I had a huge one in my back yard when I moved to The Gambia. Termites killed the tree and now, in its place is a two year old little tree. I wondered and wondered if it would flower. The other day I was blessed to see the power of God as two little blooms came out.
There are other signs that the rains are coming. The humidity is something. I sit here at my computer in the middle of the day and the sweat drips off my elbows. It is rather disgusting. I have learned to keep a hand towel near by when writing. Computers with speakers near where you rest your hands have been known to rust.
Another sign of incoming rain is the increase in bugs. Yup, insects. I was watching a DVD last night. I had no other lights on, just the laptop screen. When all of a sudden I was dive bombed by a beetle. When I was growing up in New York, we had these beetles we called June bugs. I am not sure if they are more prevalent in June or not but picture a June bug on steroids. They are bigger here. I took great pleasure in killing June bug 1 and 2. I hate to be dive bombed. There you are sitting in the dark and WHACK! You jump up thinking “who did that?” Then you realize you are alone. Not a good thing; but if it could be witnessed, kind of funny.
This is the beginning of the increase of Mosquitoes. They are also not my friends, mainly because they like to bite me too much. It is hard to get even with a mosquito. In the states you hear them coming, but not the ones that carry Malaria. They don’t have the decency to buzz. No warnings, you just start itching. Bednets, bug spray, and avoiding being outside at dusk and dawn are good precautions.
Another subtle evidence of coming rain is the change of the night song. I go to bed each night listening to the crickets, bats, occasional donkey, hyena, or jackal. Soon the sound of frogs will be added. It reminds me of the plagues in the Old Testament. Frogs are everywhere. I watched a cat the first year I was here. I left his water and food bowl outside, no need to encourage rodents to visit my house. Well, each morning I would have to poor the frogs out of the water dish. How many frogs can an old enamel coffee mug hold. I think 7 was my highest count. UGH!

Last night, I was given the opportunity to put on my maintenance hat. Joanne's refrigerator has been giving her some grief. The freezer is doing its job, but the refrigerator section hasn't been cooling. It ran out of gas yesturday, so Joanne changed the gad bottle, changed the regulator and discovered a new problem. It wouldn't light. So, she aske if I could come over and change the thermal coupling. I was able to figure that out. (Impressive I know, but it would be even better if I knew how it all worked.) But the refrigerator still won't stay lit. So if you have any ideas on how to fix this problem. Let me know.

This week I will be wearing the electrician hat as I have to change out the 1500 watt inverter in my place. I have been given email guidelines, that include advice such as "do not let those two cables touch or Boom! My batteries will be fried. I am not sure what day I plan to have this fun. I am plannign on doing some touch up painting and a lot more visiting. I will also be getting organized for my return to language study. Saturday I will head to Banjul, time for more supplies already. It would be a great trip if it wasn't for the ferry.

Thanks for praying.

Here are a few pics for you.....







Passing a ferry while on a ferry.















Much of my afternoons are spenting visting with friends from the village.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

well send some of those rains to spring hill. sorry, dad can't be of help to you with his electrical knowledge or in the gas area. i enjoy this diary type thing. have you missed your state-side shopping?
love ya, Mom & Dad