Monday, June 18, 2007

It is GOOD to be back!

Today, I felt as if I was "Back in the saddle again." I woke up feeling energized, the first in a long time. Today, I wsa going to start studying Wolof again. There are so many words I have forgotten and my conversation must be like that of a two year old, okay, three year old. : )

After a quick breakfast, I doned my Gambian outfit complete with the shaw (for sunscreen). I was out the door. I had one visitor already and as I was leaving our compound my namesake stopped to ask me for bug spray. She was getting eaten alive at night and not liking it. So, I walked back to my house to get her a can of spray. Then I was off the compound! The day watchman asked me if I was really going this time.

I headed across the street to greet the man that owns the little shop. He carries a few of the basics: bread, flip-flops, tea, sugar, caned milk, caned sardines, etc. Before I returned to America, he was selling flour. But when my girlfriend left for Liberia and with me heading to America, he lost his biggest buyers of flour and really can't afford to carry it now. I will just have to get that in town. Not a big hassel.

I headed down the road to visit a friend that comes every Monday afternoon. I have yet to go to her place. She sells breakfast in the morning. I wanted to suprise her. As I was walking to town I greeted those I met along the way. I had to pass the compound of my namesake's daughter, so I stopped by to say hello. It was a good time of conversation. Her daughter in law's baby died last rainy season and the daughter in law was in the hospital with an illness two months ago. We had much to talk about.
Promising to return some day soo, I was on my way to find my friend. She told me she sold under the Mango tree by the machine. Well, I found the machine and the two mango trees near it... but not my friend. I headed down the street and came across another woman I know. After talking with her for some time, I asked about my friend. Yes, she sells under the tree by the machine. I passed by the road again, no one was under the trees. So, I went to see my language supervisor about meeting my language helper (tutor).
On my way to the office, I passed three women doing their laundry under a tree. There was a nice breeze and they were shaded, it is hot, hard work. They asked me for the fixings for the tea they drink here. I didn't have any with me and asked to be forgiven until another day.
Joanne was able to take me to the next village to meet with a woman who works with the literacy staff and could possibly tutor me. I was so glad to get in the car - air conditioning! Joanne wanted to make a stop at the library on our way out of town. She turned a block early, for a minute I was confused as to which village she was taking me. When I guestioned her, she laughed, she was just going around the block so she could talk to her employee and not have to pull the car in or turn around. (There is not a lot of traffic out here.) Then we were off.
Njuffen is a nice small village. I should have a great time. It is about 1.5 miles from here. A nice walk in the AM and it will be a hot return. I have to add a big umbrella to my shopping list.
I returned home to shower, lunch and nap in that order. I had visitors at my door by four. They left around eight. Then the four of us gals got chatting outside. I came in around 9:45. Had dinner and now, I have a bit more language stuff to do before I can head to Njuffen in the morning. Oh, there is lots to do.
Most embarassing part of the day occured as I was saying good bye to my last Gambian guest this evening. We had been sitting at the gate to our compound and when I stood up my wrap around skirt, slipped. Praise the Lord my top came to my knees and I knew what was happening. That could have been a VERY embarassing moment.
Have a great one.
Ma ngee janga Olof.

No comments: