Sunday, August 5, 2007

August Greetings

I am having a hard time believing that it is already August 5th. Yet part of me is looking forward to the 7th. I have been the only missionary in NK for the past two weeks. On Tuesday my co workers will be returning. I have enjoyed the time out here by myself. I have spent time with my neighbors and studying the language. I did go into Banjul for a four day trip which turned into five because of the rain. The traveling to and from was fun as I took local transport. I remember sitting in the back of the van thinking... how many people will it take to fill this thing? The answer that day was 29 adults, four children and a baby. We were packed in so tight I had the thought, "no wonder why so many service when these vehicles flip, you are crammed in so tight, there is no place for your body to go." It lead to a prayer for safety.

I was looking for some sweet time with friends this weekend, but I have a cold. Not just an annoyance of a cold, but the kind that knocks ya flat and you can't raise your head. I have managed to stay awake enough to speak to the guards each day. They stop by to make sure I am okay. I definately am not up to a walk in the sun. I have read a little and slept a lot. I think God is giving me a few days rest to rebuild my strength.

Rainy season has arrived full force now. In fact, last night we had a good storm. Watch out for something along the coast say on the 10th of August. The temperatures haven't dropped and the humidity continues to be a bother. As of yet I haven't heard of any houses falling and the farmers are thrilled with the rain for their crops.

I am conducting an experiment with a snake that I found in my house. He has survived without food and water for over three weeks. Scary, if a baby snake can survive that long, what about an adult snake? Ugh, this past Friday another snake braved my house. Also a baby snake. This one is not going to be an experiment. He met with my watchman and a stick. The stick won and the watchman won my deep gratitude. Two snakes in one month is a bit much for me. God is giving me strength to walk through the house. He is giving me peace to sleep at night. I am praying he doesn't bring me another snake.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Get well soon!
I googled "how long can snakes go without food?" but all the extra information (about parasites and disease) was NOT encouraging - - absolutely awful. YUK! Suffice it to say, your guy "should" be starving to death but since snakes don't care if the meat they eat is dead or alive - - maybe he's been sneaking some insect snacks while you weren't looking! Cindy Whitford