Saturday, July 25, 2009

Return to Ndungu Kebbeh...

It was a long flight and a long day.... I left my parent's home at about 8:30 am. Several flights and airports later... I arrived at Yundom International Airport, The Gambia. I was met by a long immigration line and a wait for my baggage. I called over a porter and began using my Wolof. (It wasn't too rusty, I had used it several times recently... thank you Ruth and Joanne!) Finally the bags arrived and it was my turn to join the long line to have my baggage x-rayed and searched once again. I alkmost made it out of the airport, but I was called back. I hadn't given the man my baggage stickers, BUT I did remember where they were.

I was met at the airport by our mission director Barney Robison. We had a fairly short drive to the guesthouse; he caught me up on what has been happening. It was now 7 pm, 3 pm the following day for you all. Adelia, Barney's wife, had dinner about ready... what a blessing. I made a quick trip to a nearby grocery store adn then it was off to slumber.

Nothing really prepares you for the blast of air you feel as you leave the plane behind and prepare to descend the stairs. It is just hot with a lot kmore humidity than there was in February. By the time you get into the airport, the sweat glands have kicked in. The guesthouse has air-conditioning; I think I slept well that first night. I know I took a big nap the next day.

Friday and Saturday I continued to adjust to the time and temperature changes while stocking up on groceries for the next five weeks. I returned to NK after church Sunday morning.

The ferry is always an interesting experience. Some day you all should come to Ndungu Kebbeh and experience the ferry. I actually had a very nice wait. I think it was only an hour: I was able to reaquaint myself with my friends who sell material and outfits there. They didn't give me too hard of a time when I said there was no money to buy today. They knew I would be back.

I was driving our ambulance which had been in for service, I drove it onto the ferry and they packed the cars and trucks onboard. An hour later I was in Barra. THe road crew has been busy and there is a detour up. It looks like there is going to be a paved road right up to the ferry entrance! Just in time, as it is rainy season. You can lose a small carin some of the potholes/lakes around here. I picked up some bread in Barra and then drove the last forty minutes to Kebbeh. There, I was greeted byt he Lippy family, Jean and Deb. It sure is good to be home. Michelle had Jogab prepare my house for me, I even had clean sheets and a made bed!

No comments: